John Jacobs is an Expert Scientist in the Genomics group of the Trait Research organization of Bayer Crop Science . Located in Ghent, Belgium, John has been with Bayer and predecessor companies since 1999. During his career at Bayer, John has been involved in the development of genomic tools, hybrid systems, and yield traits for cotton, rice, and oilseeds and, more recently, wheat.
Read his interview here
On 18 July 2014, the IWGSC published in the international journal Science a draft sequence of the bread wheat genome. The chromosome-based draft provides new insight into the structure, organization, and evolution of the large, complex genome of the world’s most widely grown cereal crop.
- Choulet presentation, Angers, 7 October 2016 Frederic Choulet, IWGSC Coordinating Committee member, presented the latest results from the IWGSC whole genome assembly project at a conference o...
- PAG 2017 first announcement The IWGSC will hold two workshops at the Plant and Animal Genome Conference XXIV , 14-18 January 2017, San Diego, CA, USA
- Call for early career speaker travel award The deadline for nominations for the Early Career speaker travel award for the primary IWGSC workshop that will be held at the Plant and Animal Ge...
- Call for Speakers for the IWGSC workshop The primary IWGSC workshop at the Plant and Animal Genome Conference XXV (14-18 January 2017) will be held on Saturday 14 January 2017 from 8:00-1...
- An interview with Rudi Appels An interview with IWGSC Board member Rudi Appels featured on the EMBL Australia Bioinformatics Resource website
13 June 2016 - Wheat Sequencing Consortium Releases Key Resource to the Scientific Community
Following the January 2016 announcement of the production of a whole genome assembly for bread wheat, the IWGSC, having completed quality control, is now making this breakthrough resource available for researchers via the IWGSC wheat sequence repository at URGI-INRA-Versailles, France.
In January 2016, the IWGSC awarded three Outstanding Leadership Awards.
Jan Dvorak and Ming-Cheng Luo were both awarded an IWGSC Outstanding Leadership Award in recognition and appreciation of their leadership in completing the reference sequence for the Ae. tauschii – the progenitor of wheat D genome.
John Jacobs and Bayer CropScience (BSC) were awarded an IWGSC Outstanding Leadership Award in recognition and appreciation of their leadership for advancing significantly the IWGSC efforts to complete the reference sequence of the bread wheat genome.