Hikmet Budak is a Professor in the Molecular Biology, Genetics and Bioengineering Program at Sabanci University, Turkey, where he leads the Plant Genetics and Genomics team. He also serves as an adjunct Professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA. His major research foci include biotic and abiotic stress responses in cereals, and the components of stress tolerance mechanisms, including post-transcriptional regulators, such as microRNAs.
Read his profile and interview here
On 18 July 2014, the IWGSC published in the international journal Science a draft sequence of the bread wheat genome. The chromosome-based draft provides new insight into the structure, organization, and evolution of the large, complex genome of the world’s most widely grown cereal crop.
- 6B physical map published Publication of the 6B physical map by a team led by IWGSC Coordinating Committee member Hirokazu Handa (National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Japan)
- Wheat Initiative publishes its Strategic Research Agenda The Wheat Initiative presented today its Strategic Research Agenda (SRA) in occasion of the fourth Meeting of the G20 Agricultural Chief Scientists (MACS).The SRA contributes towards the global food security challenge by identifying priorities an...
- Wheat for tomorrow’s world The IWGSC published an article in the International Innovation magazine featuring an interview with Kellye Eversole, IWGSC Executive Director, and an article about the IWGSC strategy, achievements and challenges ahead.
- PAG Asia Program The availability of draft genome sequences and the continuing efforts to produce high quality reference sequences for each of the 42 chromosome arms of bread wheat are now generating new opportunities in wheat research. This workshop aims to high...
- Wheat genome sequencing catching up The IWGSC published an article in the magazine European Seed highlighting its achievement so far and making the case for more funding to be fund soon to finish the reference sequencing of bread wheat.
International Innovation magazine - July 2015
The July issue of International Innovation magazine features an interview with Kellye Eversole and an article on the IWGSC achievements
Read the articles (PDF)