Hikmet Budak is a Professor in the Molecular Biology, Genetics and Bioengineering Program at Sabanci University, Turkey, where he leads the Plant Genetics and Genomics team. He also serves as an adjunct Professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, USA. His major research foci include biotic and abiotic stress responses in cereals, and the components of stress tolerance mechanisms, including post-transcriptional regulators, such as microRNAs.
Read his profile and interview here
On 18 July 2014, the IWGSC published in the international journal Science a draft sequence of the bread wheat genome. The chromosome-based draft provides new insight into the structure, organization, and evolution of the large, complex genome of the world’s most widely grown cereal crop.
- Wheat genome sequencing catching up The IWGSC published an article in the magazine European Seed highlighting its achievement so far and making the case for more funding to be fund soon to finish the reference sequencing of bread wheat.
- 5DS physical map published Publication of the 5DS physical map by a team led by IWGSC Coordinating Committee member HIkmet Budak (Sabanci University), in collaboration with IWGSC members at the Institute of Experimental Botany (Czeck Republic), Instituto di Genomica Applic...
- Resource for members: slides Set of slides for members to use in their presentations: general presentation of the IWGSC (membership, structure, vision, roadmap), major achievements, progress, sponsors.
- Rogers presentation, Milan, 4 June 2015 Jane Rogers, IWGSC deputy director, presented a progress report for the IWGSC at the Wheat initiative Research Committee on 4 June 2015 in Milan, Italy.
- Wheat Initiative conference and research committee meeting at Expo 2015 On Wednesday 3 June at EXPO 2015 in Milan wheat research was given a boost though a conference organized by the Wheat initiative and the Italian research institutions (CNR, CRA and University of Bologna) entitled “Wheat for the Future - Advancing...